Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lost Boys of the Sudan

The “Lost Boys of the Sudan” were young boys from the ages of 7- 17, who had to flee from their homes and were separated from their families because of a deadly war. They were hungry, frightened and weak. It was terrible. I had heard of the title the “Lost Boys of the Sudan,” but I never really knew exactly what happened. I could not believe that these boys walk thousands of miles barefoot to seek refuge. Many were killed on the way and experienced death first hand as little innocent children. I cannot even imagine how they felt to be alone, not knowing what would happen and remain separated from their loved ones not knowing when they would see them again. One of the most surprising things I learned was that many of the “Lost boys” were granted to come to the United States for a better life many years later. I think the most negative experience that the boys had was to barely survive while being surrounded by death at such a young age. I think it was wonderful that people from the United States went to the Sudan to help teach the boys English and learn about how difference the United States is from the Sudan. If I had these boys in my class, I know they would definitely have culture shock. I would first help them learn by making them feel welcomed in a safe environment. I know that those harsh experiences would never leave their minds. I would make sure they have all the essentials for school that they need and make sure they know how to use it. I would make sure to use comprehensible input, visuals and realia to help them understand while learning. Lastly, I would not label them as the “Lost Boys” as one of the men in the video said, “I am called a lost boy, but I am not lost from God, I am lost from my parents.” This touched my heart that after all he has been through, he still has faith in God and is optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment