Monday, February 18, 2013

A Class Divided

After watching the video, A Class Divided, I thought it was a very powerful way of teaching children and adults about discrimination. They were able to experience what it feels like to be discriminated against and it is amazing how easily people change their feelings towards other people because of what they hear. People start to feel inferior to other people because they feel that the way they look is better than the way other people look. I think it is an important lesson to teach this to children so they understand that they should not judge people on the way they look on the outside with out knowing who they are on the inside. I think the teacher was right with carrying this exercise out through blue-eyed and brown-eyed discrimination to teach the lesson. However, like Jane Elliott says in the video she hates doing the exercise because not only does she get a headache but she hates that it is still a necessity. I think it is a necessity that people still need to learn. When an authority figure gives out miscommunication or misleading facts it leads to discrimination and many times this leads to wars. I do not think I would like to do this exercise in my classroom unless I am fully trained and I was asked to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't be able to do her experiment either. It is actually quite brutal. Humans have a natural need to categorize, but how that need turns into bias remains a problem.

    ReplyDelete